RE: Job Opportunity - OT

Title: Message

I have been reading this post and was too busy to comment, but this is a question I use to ask all the time when I was an engineer working for someone.  Now I get asked this since I am the employer.

This is my take.  If you want to be wealthy, then you go out and work for a Tech company or some Finance company.  But I keep telling everyone “if you are in this profession you can’t focus on the money”.  I got into this because I really enjoy structures.  It is in my head all the time.   I enjoy getting up early every morning and work on the projects that we have, or go after projects we would like to have.  It is unfortunate that we do not get compensated for what we should be doing.  I just lost a job from another engineer firm because they decided to do a project for half of what we asked for.   This is the challenge we are faced with everyday.

As for my employees, I make sure that their hard work is compensated for every bit.  We pay everyone for 40 hours but we also give comp time for people that work over 40 hours.  I think we all have to take a break after working hard, so I usually tell my guys to take the time off after completing a demanding job.  When the guys that work for us are driven too hard and are not rewarded for their hard work, they will start to hate work, then quality goes down and now I have a liability issue to deal with.

I wish there is a day that we can all get compensated appropriately for what we do, but it is hard when there are guys out there that are only charging $120/hr for their time as Gerard noted.

Marlou Rodriguez, S.E.

MBRodriguez Engineering Inc.

2355 Oakland Road, Suite 14

San Jose, CA 95131