Re: Job Opportunity - OT

Marlou Rodriguez wrote:
Message

If you want to be wealthy, then you go out and work for a Tech company

If you make this statement to a "tech guy," stand back. A large blast of wind is likely to result owing to unrestrained laughter.

I think it is very much a misconception that "tech guys" are all highly paid, especially relative to what folks in our profession make. It might have been true a decade ago, when the sudden explosion of "distributed computing" made designations like "Microsoft Certified Engineer" easily as marketable as an MBA from a highly-rated B-school.

But not anymore. Now, these folks are a commodity. My sister works for the Federal Courts system and my brother, for a large regional bank, both in Birmingham, Alabama. They are very accomplished, my sister an expert in .NET stuff and my brother with Java, SQL, etc., the major e-commerce/e-banking platforms. They each do all right, but no one is confusing them with wealthy, by any stretch of the imagination.

Ironically, I'm making almost as much right now as the both of them put together.