Re: Railings on Stairs - OSHA 1910.23 & the Florida Building Code

David-

Check this out

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=24960

Of course the interpretation is from 2004 AND it is a construction requirement question about

§1926.1052(c)(6) and 1926.1052(c)(7)

1926.1052
(6) The height of handrails shall be not more than 37 inches (94 cm) nor less than 30 inches (76 cm) from the upper surface of the handrail to the surface of the tread, in line with the face of the riser at the forward edge of the tread.

The FBC requirement of 34 to 38 seems biased slightly towards the upper range of comfortable hand rail heights.

In the OSHA interpretation letter they cite a U of Michigan study that suggests 33" is optimum with allowable range of +/- 3"

but they also mention that section in the interpretation addresses only the standards applicable to the construction industry

and that
General Industry (29 CFR Part 1910) needs an additional interpretation

So there even appears to be a conflict within OSHA

My suggestion:  go with  a rail height of  34"  with a installation tolerance of +/- 1" & call it good.

cheers
Bob