Re: Another Reference needed

I am hoping I can jump on the band wagon here. (That is not a very gooood analogy). I am looking for a reference on the effect of higher footings close to existing footings. One of my customers is supplying a 5 ton crane and runway to be installed in an existing building. The engineer for the building owner is insisting that the runway columns be placed midway between the existing columns so as to avoid any super-imposition of loads on to existing footings. My customer is stating, with my support, that the bearing pressure from the new crane column is reduced considerably (with a large column bearing plate) by the time the additional pressure reaches the underside of the existing footings (here all footings exposed to freezing have to be at least 4 ft below grade. The building owner is on my customer's side in this dispute-he does not want more columns fouling up his floor space. I feel comfortable with what we are proposing but I want to be able to quote some references on this topic. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance for your trouble.
Gary Hodgson

IRV FRUCHTMAN wrote:
Dennis:
A book I've found helpful and not expensive is:
"Design of Shallow Foundations" by Samuel French, ASCE
Press. But its paperback and the print is small. Good Luck, Irv
I’m looking for a back to basic soils or foundation
design manual to help me
work out the algorithms that I need to write the
spreadsheet. I think I
understand how to find the center of mass based on
the load distributions
but would like to compare it against a text. My
foundation design manuals
that I used in school seem more than complicated and
I am looking for
something fairly straight forward.

If I would prefer, I would also like the text to
cover other types of
foundations; continuous wall foundations; friction
piles, spread footings
that are used installed below an existing foundation
(remodeling situation);
distribution of shear from eccentric loading
conditions where new
foundations are doweled or added to the existing
etc.

Please post your favorite references for foundation
design. I think the
Retaining wall reference published by Huge Brooks is
the best I’ve seen and
I use this as a primer to refresh my memory on
retaining wall design, but
for the other conditions I am seeking a text rather
than a reference for a
computer program that will do the work for me.
One of the problems with relying on computer
software that I take for
granted because I write most of my own tools is
writing one that you have
been used to designing by shortcut (for example a
grade beam that takes the
moment from each end at the base of a moment frame).
I’ve designed these
using a half page or less shortcut, but I want to
restore my understanding
of the basics as I have always done with code
programs such as MultiLat™
that assisted me to understand what was in the mind
of the code writer while
I was recreating the spreadsheet.

At nearly sixty years old, I am not too proud to
want to return to the
basics and admit that I forgot some of my elemental
skills. Help me restore
my memory by suggesting the reference that you use
when you need to do an
analysis manually that you have not done for a long
time.

Thanks

Dennis

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineering – C 41250 Exp
03/31/09

Structural Engineering Consultant

La Quinta California

Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.484 / Virus Database: 269.12.8/973 -
Release Date: 8/25/2007
5:00 PM