From: Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. [mailto:ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:01 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Another Reference needed

I am hoping I can jump on the band wagon here. (That is not a very
gooood analogy). I am looking for a reference on the effect of higher
footings close to existing footings. One of my customers is supplying a
5 ton crane and runway to be installed in an existing building. The
engineer for the building owner is insisting that the runway columns be
placed midway between the existing columns so as to avoid any
super-imposition of loads on to existing footings. My customer is
stating, with my support, that the bearing pressure from the new crane
column is reduced considerably (with a large column bearing plate) by
the time the additional pressure reaches the underside of the existing
footings (here all footings exposed to freezing have to be at least 4 ft
below grade. The building owner is on my customer's side in this
dispute-he does not want more columns fouling up his floor space. I feel
comfortable with what we are proposing but I want to be able to quote
some references on this topic. Any help would be appreciated and thanks
in advance for your trouble.
Gary Hodgson

IRV FRUCHTMAN wrote:
> [...]
> "Design of Shallow Foundations" by Samuel French, ASCE
> Press. But its paperback and the print is small.
> Good Luck,
> Irv
>

>> I'm looking for a back to basic soils or foundation
>> design manual to help me
>> work out the algorithms that I need to write the spreadsheet. I think
>> I understand how to find the center of mass based on
>> the load distributions
>> but would like to compare it against a text. My
>> foundation design manuals
>> that I used in school seem more than complicated and
>> I am looking for
>> something fairly straight forward.
>>

>> If I would prefer, I would also like the text to
>> cover other types of
>> foundations; continuous wall foundations; friction
>> piles, spread footings
>> that are used installed below an existing foundation (remodeling
>> situation); distribution of shear from eccentric loading
>> conditions where new
>> foundations are doweled or added to the existing
>> etc.
>>

>> Please post your favorite references for foundation
>> design. I think the
>> Retaining wall reference published by Huge Brooks is
>> the best I've seen and
>> I use this as a primer to refresh my memory on
>> retaining wall design, but
>> for the other conditions I am seeking a text rather
>> than a reference for a
>> computer program that will do the work for me.
>>

>> One of the problems with relying on computer
>> software that I take for
>> granted because I write most of my own tools is
>> writing one that you have
>> been used to designing by shortcut (for example a
>> grade beam that takes the
>> moment from each end at the base of a moment frame).
>> I've designed these
>> using a half page or less shortcut, but I want to
>> restore my understanding
>> of the basics as I have always done with code
>> programs such as MultiLatT
>> that assisted me to understand what was in the mind
>> of the code writer while
>> I was recreating the spreadsheet.
>>

>> At nearly sixty years old, I am not too proud to
>> want to return to the
>> basics and admit that I forgot some of my elemental
>> skills. Help me restore
>> my memory by suggesting the reference that you use
>> when you need to do an
>> analysis manually that you have not done for a long
>> time.
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Dennis
>>

>> Dennis S. Wish, PE
>>
>> California Professional Engineering - C 41250 Exp
>> 03/31/09
>>
>> Structural Engineering Consultant
>>
>> La Quinta California

>> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>> Release Date: 8/25/2007
>> 5:00 PM

> Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo!
FareChase.