Re: Conventional Wood Framing

Bill,

A decent resource for roof framing is the Residential Structure and Framing book from the JLC guys.  It touches on the technical and gives some examples, albeit from a framer's perspective.

If I recall correctly, someone (Buddy?) once said on this list that smaller simple hip roofs have legitimately proven the test of time without any interior supports.  12'x12' rings a bell.  I'm not sure if that was the whole roof or under the hip.

FWIW, I'm still waiting for my fully open 42'x36' hip roof with single 2x10 hip rafters spliced at midspan with 8' long 2x10's to sag or fall on my head while I'm sleeping.  So far, nothing after 20 years.

Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA

Bill Allen <t.w.allen(--nospam--at)cox.net> wrote:
In conventional wood framing, are vertical members required to support hips, valleys and ridges?

Are there any better references which are more definitive than the single paragraph I?ve found in the UBC?

TIA,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.
Consulting Structural Engineers

V (949) 248-8588 ? F(949) 209-2509