RE: Conventional Wood Framing

I guess I should have been clearer.

I was looking for a prescriptive approach rather than any engineering guidance.

If it’s a prescriptive method (i.e. “conventional framing provisions”), is it necessary to “resolve all the forces” to satisfy the intent of the building code?

I’ve got a project with a new client and I don’t want to sound or look stupid (any more than I am anyway).

I don’t have a problem with ridge boards instead of ridge beams due to the inherent truss action of the ceiling joists / rafter ties and roof rafters even if they are inadequately nailed based on an engineering analysis.

Where I do have a concern is regarding hips to a small degree and valleys to a larger degree. If a roof is symmetrical and has a hip on each end, then I can see how the loads cancel out (but the top plate becomes a tension “ring”). Valleys are another animal. That’s why I wanted to ask the question.

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

V (949) 248-8588 F(949) 209-2509