Re: You might be a structural engineer, if .

Gerard:

By writing "working long hours for free", it is clear that you missed my point entirely.  Any engineer or employer that equates hours with value will never build wealth.  As professionals, engineers should be compensated based on their value, which has little or nothing to do with hours.  Some of my engineers average 35 hrs/wk, while others work 50+.  I couldn't care less!  They all produce excellent work and they all are compensated well into six figures and pay no state income taxes.  Engineering firms that sell their services on an hourly basis similarly are missing the boat.  Firms build big bonus pools by selling work based on its value to the client, not based on the effort required to produce it.  In other words, lump sum rather than cost plus contracting.

Finally, you should know by now that I restrict my BS exclusively to politics and sports, never to engineering subjects.  You should be thrilled that I no longer write about either of the former ... but there is some "Must See TV" coming up this Saturday afternoon, when my beloved Wisconsin Badgers will pummel the Washington State Whatevers on ABC.

Stan