From: Garner, Robert [mailto:rgarner(--nospam--at)moffattnichol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:08 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: 2006 IBC Wind Load question

Hi, Dennis,

I went to a 2006 IBC Wind Design Seminar by Dr. Ghosh yesterday.  Of course, the IBC references ASCE 7-05 for wind design.  And the simplified method isn't really simple.  I concur with another on the list that it's probably best to learn the so-called analytic method.  It seems more simplified than the simplified method and covers any building configuration except those than must be done by wind tunnel.  Basic wind speeds are set by ASCE 7 Figure 6-1 and are 85 mph on the west coast.  There are a couple special wind regions in the west and wind speeds in those areas would have to come from local AHJ's.  I think your greatest joy will be experienced when you calculate the gust effect factor - this is rocket science here!

Bob Garner, S.E.