RE: 2006 IBC Wind Load question

Matthew,

Ouch! Having reviewed that progressive collapse proposal, I can say that
anyone who has to design to it has my deepest sympathies.  I think NJ
DCA chaired the committee that put the proposal together, which probably
explains why they pushed it forward even though it was rejected in the
ICC code development cycle.

Not that I have a problem with designing and detailing for basic
structural integrity and structural continuity, of course. But that
proposal went way beyond anything currently required by any code (I'm
thinking ACI 318 particularly with the requirements stemming from Ronan
Point). It was just about taking the DOD/GSA requirements for a complete
progressive collapse analysis (including removing columns, bearing
walls, etc. to see the structural behavior) that you'd do for a
high-risk structure (like an embassy) and applying it to *every* type of
building, even your basic two-story condo or retail building.

NCSEA has been working (along with the various material groups: ACI,
AISC, NCMA, AF&PA) on a counter-proposal that I understand is much more
grounded in reality and actual risk, and better reflects the current
structural integrity language and requirements from ACI, AISC, ASCE 7
and other existing standards.

Gary

Gary J. Ehrlich, PE
1201 15th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20005
ph: 202-266-8545  or 800-368-5242 x8545
fax: 202-266-8369
gehrlich(--nospam--at)nahb.com