Re: You might be a structural engineer, if .

Here in Ontario, collections are relatively easy for jobs requiring a building permit. Site review or observation is mandatory and every owner has to sign a "form of commitment to site review" in which he has to commit to have site reviews performed and the engineers who are doing site review have to also sign the form. With new customers, it is my policy to not sign off on the job until I am paid or assured of payment. The municipalities can get really snarky if they don't get their piece of (cover their collective butt) paper.

My problem with "engineering" is the red tape these days. I spend more time through the day talking to people, filling in forms (see above), writing invoices, doing site reviews and writing up the reports, etc, than engineering. Consequently, as a one man show, I have to work additional hours to get the engineering done. It's not just me-another engineer commented to me unsolicited, that you work hard so you can get some money and time to enjoy yourself, but then you don't have the time to take off.

Enough crying, it's Saturday morning and I am in the office to get some work done without any interruptions.
Gary

Marlou Rodriguez wrote:
I agree,

The only part of my job that I do not like is trying to collect from
people that try to take their time from paying.  I use a service that
collects from them and they charge me a very small fee to do so.  My
success rate in collecting has been pretty good since I started using
the service.  I will be happy to forward the information to anyone if
they email me privately.

Thanks.

Marlou Rodriguez, S.E.

MBRodriguez Engineering Inc.