RE: You might be a structural engineer, if .

David,

I understand the frustration of chasing payment; but this is not
necessarily any different in any other business.  Contractor's routinely
chase payment and worse, retainage.  If it's not chasing payment, it's
chasing business.  Even if you own a doughnut shop you need to get
customers to make the whole thing viable.

I won't pretend that my clients necessarily pay any faster than the
balance, or that we have weeded out the slow pay (though we do on some).
I just learned to accept slow pay a long time ago and have built my
business around their normal time frame so I no longer need to stress
over it.  One thing is I don't believe we are one of the cheaper firms,
I charge full value for our services, including additional money for
carrying costs for slow paying customers.  I don't need to argue about
finance charges and all the evil connotations that accompany the
concept, I just tack it on up front as part of the fee.  If they don't
want to pay our fee, fine; they are welcome to go somewhere else.

An associate of mine used to jack up the fee for certain clients by a
few percent, and then offer a 1.5% discount for payments received within
thirty days.  I have not implemented this practice, but from what I
understand it seemed to work fairly well.

I let my business manager chase after the money, and it does not have
that great an impact on my everyday life.

Paul Feather PE, SE
pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net
www.SE-Solutions.net