From: Bill Polhemus <bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc>

Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 11:51:16
To:seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: You might be a structural engineer, if .

dfisher(--nospam--at)fpse.com wrote:
> Bill:
>
> I've researched this one extensively...
>
> perhaps you can enlighten me on the reference
If you'll recall, several centuries ago a mysterious "Pied Piper"
offered to deliver the German city of Hameln (or "Hamlin") from an
infestation of rats, in return for a hefty fee.

Having struggled with the rat problem for some time, the city fathers
were desperate for ANY solution to the problem, and readily agreed. The
Pied Piper played a tune on his pipe, and compelled every single one of
the rats to dance out of the city, jump into the river and drown.

When he applied for payment, the city leaders, less desperate now that
the rats were gone, decided that it had been "too easy" a job after all,
and offered him only a fraction of the payment originally agreed upon.
At that, the Piper began to play again, and all the children in the town
danced along as he led them out of the city and over the horizon, never
to be seen again.

MORAL: If you don't have anything to hold over their heads, human nature
will decree that your demand for payment of your fee for service will
not be give the same priority by your client as you put on it.

I long ago learned from sad experience, that if I complete a job for a
client who's in desperate need, BEFORE I get any payment, suddenly my
efforts won't be worth that much when the crisis is over. I call this
the "Pied Piper Syndrome."

(I have not as yet determined any use for the children of my clients.
I've come across an "administrative assistant" or two, but could not get
permission from my wife--who's the only flutist in the family--to try it
out).

ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿý?vX¬´Pjßá¶Úÿÿü0Ãûj)íþ?àþX¬·ñ@Cö¬§ÿÓ?+?¨¥Á«,z{m£*.¾&?¶»?¶êÚ?Ià?w?®ÏÀ²Ê?«b¢zJ?­?êç	©b~?ç?¯Ò?û®÷«ý:ÿ²æìr¸?{ùè}çÿ¢µ'Jæìr¸?{úey«??hÿÿá¶Úÿÿü0Ãûj)íþ?àþÇ??+-×ö¬§ÿйë-??ì¶?j)íý§ÿ±æ¢?ßè®Ñzg¦mêÿj|??¨¥Ê?ÿ±éݶ?azX¬¶+)¹¹bqÚ&j)Ú?Ù?É·«{úh²×?ÿ­??­Ê?«¥êæ?Ë"¢ÌjG¬º·²¢ëâ²+hº¼oû"µæ­þm§ÿÿÃÿ±æ¢?ßè®ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ