Re: Lag Bolts in Sht. Metal Straps

Ah, they need to wrap around a cylindrical tank.

Depending on the tank diameter there are "pre-bent"  tank clamp / straps commercially available.
Like something for securing welding gases or scuba tank or fire extinguishers

Maybe nylon strapping?.with a catch or buckle?

Those water heater straps are pretty much a joke, we'll see how well the straps & the various DIY installations do next time we have an e/q in CA.

I've installed a few myself. You've got the be pretty careful at the strap /  lag screw interface such that the lag head (or washer under the head) doesn't tear the strap.

I don't how good your installation has to look.....utility closet or reception area?

You might consider aircraft cable (wire rope) ...wire rope as small as 1/8" has a break strength ~2000 lbs.

Easy to fabricate (or have fabricated) www.mcmaster.com

Again you need to be careful about the strap (rope) /  lag interface where you can have an abrupt  direction change depending on the design.

cheers
Bob