From: Larry Hauer [mailto:lrhauer(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2007 7:09 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Lag Bolts in Sht. Metal Straps

I'd love to use a thicker strap, but the straps have to be flexible to wrap
around small diamter tanks. Did you know that those seismic straps around
hot water heaters are only 26 gage, (0.018" thick)!!

Larry Hauer

>From: "Robert Kazanjy" <rkazanjy(--nospam--at)gmail.com>
>To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
>Subject: Re: Lag Bolts in Sht. Metal Straps
>Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 21:38:14 -0700
>
>14 gage is ~.075" thick, a much more reasonable thickness
>
>cheers
>Bob
>
>On 9/6/07, Josh Comfort <jcomfort(--nospam--at)ggbse.com> wrote:
> >
> > Table 11K in the 2005 NDS has single shear values for 3/8" diam. lag
> > screws
> > w/ 14 ga. side member thickness:  G=0.5, Z(par)=200#, Z(perp)=130#.
>Those
> > values are for a penetration (p) of 8D into the wood.  For 4D< p< 8D,
>you
> > multiply the values by p/8D.

Discover sweet stuff waiting for you at the Messenger Cafe.  Claim your
treat today!
http://www.cafemessenger.com/info/info_sweetstuff.html?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_SeptHMtagline2