Sent: Friday, September 07, 2007 11:36 AM
Subject: RE: Bent Beam/Frame

If the tube steel members are connected together with a full pen weld at the apex, you have a "fixed" condition at the peak and your FBD should not show any lateral reactions unless there is an external lateral force.  Assuming you are not using the bent beam/frame to support any lateral forces, I don't see any problem with design the supports for the vertical reaction only.  You would want to consider the horizontal deflection of the frame though and take that into account when designing the support posts.

If you had a "pinned" condition at the apex you would have lateral forces do the the ridge beam reaction that would need to be resolved.

Josh Comfort, P.E.
Golden, Graper & Burton, Inc.
1500 W. Fourth Ave., Suite 509
Spokane, WA 99204