RE: Heavy or light storage load

This is a real "off the cuff" answer since I'm currently short on time to check the code.  A car battery weighs, what, 40 pounds.  Plan stacking area of a battery is about 1 sq. ft.  If the battery shelf can hold more than 3 batteries high, that's 120 psf right there.  I vote for the 250 psf.

Bob Garner, S.E.

From: Jeff Hedman [mailto:jeff_h(--nospam--at)lrpope.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 2:21 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Heavy or light storage load

I am currently designing an auto parts store that will have two mezzanines for storage.  My question is this: where can I find some guidelines on what qualifies as a light storage load of 125 psf and what qualifies as a 250 psf heavy storage load.  I am pretty sure they will be storing auto parts on these mezzanines so I am unsure if 125 psf light storage load will be sufficient.

Jeff Hedman

Checked by AVG Free Edition.