Re: Mac Arthur Maze Fire Collapse in "California Magazine"

I think what he meant was to respond with technical comments only.

The newspaper article was not very good and didn't give much of anything technical to respond with since not much was presented other than Dr. Astaneh's assessment that there are serious problems with the replacement of the span.

The Leher video was much more beneficial to watch. It gives him more time to explain himself and show the struggle he faced as crews rushed to clear the area while he wants to see the damage in its immediate condition. It's the old Mr. Spock philosophy "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one". In this case, opening the road and fixing the bridge outweighed all. The fact that there is some residual damage in the columns (according to Dr. Astaneh) is something that should be looked into. Whether it will or not, only time and $ to pay for that will tell.

The article last week in the newspaper was also lacking in technical content to comment on. While I disagree with Dr. Astaneh's classification of "moral corruption" by either Mr. Robertson's firm, ASCE, or  Federal Laws exempting certain structures from complying with state building codes, I think we all support his right to voice his opinion. I also took his comments in the context that he has spent five + years on the project. The current building code in california is the 2001 CBC. In January, the 2007 CBC goes into law. Neither has a requirement to design any building for terrorist attacks.

I think to most, the obvious "moral corruption" was the planning and actions of terrorists. I don't think the structural design of the World Trade Center, Sears Tower, or any 60's or 70's american skyscraper or building code had a provision stating "structure shall be capable of withstanding collision from a deliberate high speed kamikazi attack from a fully fueled jumbo jet".

I agree with Stan that if someone presents something on this list, it's more than fair to comment on any aspect one sees fit, publicly or privately.

-gm