Re: Gypsum wallboard shearwalls

It's not allowed in California seismic zone 4 under current UBC modifications by most local building departments.

-g

On 9/20/07, Drew Morris < dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com> wrote:
We are having a minor discussion in our office over gypsum wall board as
shearwalls.  The 2006 IBC gives allowable shearwall values (Table
2306.4.5) for unblocked and blocked walls for wind and seismic loading.
The IBC 2006 references ASCE 7-05 which list this type of load bearing
walls in Table 12.2.1 (Line A/15) with R=2.  In Seismic Design Category
D, buildings with these shearwalls are permitted but limited to 35 feet
in height.  Can you use gypsum wall board for shearwalls?  Some of us
thought that this type of shearwall was not allowed in SDC D.

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org

--
-gm