From: Jim Wilson [mailto:wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 9:01 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Swimming pool concrete fill

A client intends to fill a 9' deep pool with 5' of concrete to make a wading pool for the elderly.  Are there any particular concerns with the mix design to mitigate chemical reactions between pool chemicals and components in the mix?  If not, would a simple 3000lb or 4000lb mix suffice?  I am thinking that they should place the final 6" in a separate lift to reduce cracking and facilitate finishing.

The client expects to have a cold joint around the perimeter that will need to be sealed.  They intend to drain and repaint the pool every year, so maintenance of the joint will not be too great of an issue.

Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA