Seminars (was Wood Design)

I am as small as they get (one man shop, part time while I'm back in
school). To me, even as a small shop the capital cost of the seminar is
insignificant compared to the time I take to go and the impact on my other
work/obligations; for me it's less of a question of how much the seminar
provider charges than a concern that they don't waste my time with sales
pitches, poor teaching skills, or useless info.

If the content is good, it can save days of design time and help me produce
a more efficient design, which translates to efficiencies that far outweigh
the registration fee and reduced risk.  If not, it costs the entry fee, the
lost revenue, the schedule delay, and the travel costs not to mention the
1-3 days of my life that I'll never get back. Of those, the seminar cost is
the least of my concerns.  If the seminar is junk, you can get a refund for
the purchase price but you can't get the time back.

I like ASCE because in my experience, they have fairly good QC on content.

Shaun Dustin, MS, PE
Doctoral Candidate
USTAR Biofuels Initiative
Utah State University