RE: Joist girder stabilizer plates in existing building.

This should be verified by the manufacturer, but from my discussions with manufacturers, the stabilizer plates are both for erection and for the in place stabilization of the compression elements.  A truss is comprised of compression and tension elements.  The compression elements require that they be stabilized in the in plane and out of plane direction.  This is accomplished by the stabilization plates, the out of plane stiffness of the chords, and / or with bridging.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

> Subject: Joist girder stabilizer plates in existing building.
> Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:42:05 -0800
> From: Scott.M.Haan(--nospam--at)poa02.usace.army.mil
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
>
> I just did an inspection on an existing roof and noted the joist girders did
> not have bottom chord stabilzer plates. Is this mainly an erection issue or
> should I recommend they be retrofitted on an existing building?
>
> Thanks.
> Scott.

> *
> *
> * http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> *
> * site at: http://www.seaint.org

Kick back and relax with hot games and cool activities at the Messenger Café. Play now!