From: Alden Manipula [mailto:amanipula(--nospam--at)novagroupinc.net]
Sent
: Friday, September 21, 2007 9:46 AM
To: engcanamUSA(--nospam--at)canam.ws
Cc:
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: strengthening steel joists for shear

Hi,

I'm looking for some guidance on strengthening existing steel floor joists for shear and have a few questions.

For a wide flange beam, we'd typically add some shear stiffeners or gussets.  Is the same approach applicable for an open web steel joist?  Can i just add some angles to the web?

How about reinforcing at the bearing ends, can i just add a piece of hss 2.5 x 2.5 to either side of the joist seat?

I appreciate any comments you may have.

Thanks,

Alden