RE: strengthening steel joists for shear

Title: Message

Hi Alden,

To reinforce an existing floor joist; I’m assuming you already did a field assessment survey and data procurement. What I did in the past for my retrofit project, I model it in staad to determine what particular area need to be reinforced or which part of the joist is being over or under stress. If cost is not an issue micro-reinforcement may not a way to go. However our job as a structural engineer is to provide a fair and quality type of deliverable product to the client, so I suggest work with a Staad if not hand calc.

For a Wide Flange same approach Although, I used T-beam welded at the bottom if the issue is bending if it’s lateral you can use

T-member as a horizontal brace with connection plate. Check your shear and moment diagram of how long is your reinforcement beam be.

Engr. Julius Micayas

P.E. license no.32969

Senior Lead Structural Engineer

River Consulting- New Orleans