From: Ben Yousefi [mailto:Ben.Yousefi(--nospam--at)SMGOV.NET]
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2007 3:28 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: 3rd floor in UBC97

IBC does not seem to address this based on the story designation. It is addresses it based on the space and building as a whole. 1015 limits the number of exits from any space (floor) by the occupant load and travel distance. If you have less than 10 occupants (2000 sq. ft.) and travel no more than 75 feet to get to the outside you are OK with one exit. 1019 limits the number of buildings with one exit and it gives a blanket approval for one exit in any R3 (dwelling) building. So, unless you have very large floor area (more than 2000 square feet) and the travel distance from 3rd floor to the outside is greater than 75 feet you should be OK with one exit. Of course, I am a new 2006 IBC user and may be missing something.

Ben Yousefi, S.E., C.B.O

Assistant Building Officer

Santa Monica, CA

ben.yousefi(--nospam--at)smgov.net