From: akester(--nospam--at)cfl.rr.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Joist girder stabilizer plates in existing building
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:17:30 -0400

Aren't roof joist girder stabilizers there for the same general reason that continuous bottom chord bracing for joists are supplied, for uplift wind pressure loading? Like Harold said, this puts the bottom chord into compression and unlike the top chord that is braced by deck the bottom chord needs to be braced. There would also tend to be rotation and movement at the ends, thus the stabilizer plate.Something intuitively says the plates also help in gravity loading to keep the bottom chords from "kicking out". I am not a joist designer so I stand to be corrected..

Andrew Kester, PE
Principal/Project Manager
ADK Structural Engineering, PLLC
1510 E Colonial Ave., Suite 301
Orlando, FL 32803

Make your little one a shining star! Shine on!