Alabama soils

Title: Message
We have a residential project in Alabama (near Heflin to be more precise).  The project does NOT have a soil report (why on earth would anyone want to do something logical like that <grin>).  I don't have a problem assuming worst case soils type loads for the lateral pressures and such, but I wanted to see if anyone could tell if there are "special" soils situations to be aware of (i.e. expansive soils or such)?  Can any one give me some thoughts on the types of soils that should be expected?  The site is at 1000+ feet above sea level.   Right now it will be typical spread footings.

Thanks,

Scott
Adrian, MI