STRUCTURAL DISASTERS

ALFONSO WROTE:

From: Alfonso Quilala <asqengg2(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
Subject: Fw: PROF ASTANEH AND STRUCTURAL DISASTERS
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

Subject: Re: PROF ASTANEH AND STRUCTURAL DISASTERS=0A

The bottom line is, are the WTC buildings collapsed because of the normal forces required t=
o design the buildings per code?  To think that the building had been in se=
rvice for about 40 years was a good indication that the building had been s=
ubjected to the actual forces in that particular location. =0A =0AIt's easy=
 to analyze and comment in hindsight. And all those analysis are only theor=
ies.   How about let's try to test the Sears Tower if it can take the unexp=
ected fuel bombs that the WTC had been subjected to.  This way you will be =
able to find out if you are correct or not.  =0A =0AA S. Quilala Jr

REPLY:

Dear Alfonso:

I can see your point.

Many are smart, for example, to do their FEA analyses and,
at the end, triumphantly say: "What we found agrees exactly
with the test."

But if you were to ask for a prediction PRIOR to conducting the test,
few if any would volunteer.

Having said that, I would like to take up your challenge.
If I receive enough tech info about the design of the Tower,
I undertake to find out, for a modest fee, if the kind of events that unfolded
in WTC, after the fire, would lead to progressive collapse.

Taking place of the events may be hypothetical,
but once the events are postulated, the evaluation will be definitive.
And, at the state of the art.

And rest assured, nothing will come out of this.
The owner of the Tower would not want to know,
under any circumstance, that such a possibility exists.
Sometimes knowledge can be dangerous.

One other comment: Fuel bombs are not quite nec.
A good fire, with some chemicals involved,
would do the same preparatory job.

Sincerely, Gregory from Oz.