RE: Question on point of fixity

I use the method given in Mil-Hdbk 1025-6.  It considers the standard penetration values for sandy soils and the allowable bearing values for clay soils.  It also considers the modulus of horizontal subgrade modulus.

Bob Garner, S.E.

From: Micayas, Julius [mailto:jmicayas(--nospam--at)riverconsulting.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2007 7:02 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Cc: Kosloski, David; Dave Kozeny
Subject: Question on point of fixity

Fellow Structural Engineers:

In doing a STAAD MODEL for a concrete pile cap supported by a Piles (i.e. concrete or steel); Is there a rule of thumb or guidelines on where we can based the Point of fixity below the mud line for an offshore or onshore projects?

Currently, we used two variables (i.e. 10 x diameter and 8 x diameter) but like to get a second or third opinion.

Appreciate any comments and help.

Engr. Julius Micayas

P.E. license no.32969

Senior Structural Engineer