Seminar on Blast Protection of Bridges

Dear Seaint Friends; I have received the following question in my In box from one of the Seaint Subscribers and felt that my answer might be useful to others as well. So, after redaction of personal information I am posting my reply and the question (below it).
Best wishes.
Hassan Astaneh
Dear Mx. xxxxx: This seminar is open to the public, no registration is needed and you are very welcome to attend. The venue has a capacity of about 90 people. In particular, since you are a public servant, such as myself, I really welcome your interest in this seminar and your presence. It is only by trying to learn from each other in our profession that we can prepare our cities to future attacks by murderous terrorists. This is a small contribution that we are making, but only by hearing what you and other engineers can bring to this seminar by your questions and comments that we will be able to do our professional duties to the citizenry that pays for our services as a member of public agencies at the end of each month and expects us to protect them the terrorist attacks when the terrorists are not caught by the intelligence and law enforcement agencies before they commit their murderous acts by using our structures causing tragic loss of innocent lives, inflict injury in many and terrorize all of us. Best wishes and thank you for your interest and looking forward to seeing you at the seminar and hearing your views, criticisms of our work and guidance on how best we can do our research. Would you please do me a favor and let me know how I can reach City governments , specially City permit and planning departments to invite them personally to this seminar?

Seminar: "Blast Protection of Bridges", By Abolhassan Astaneh-Asl (www.ce.berkeley.edu/~astaneh), Wednesday, October 3, 2007, 4:00-5:00, 502 Davis Hall, UC Berkeley Campus (Map of Berkeley Campus is here: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ucbemergency.org/map/maps/images/large_map.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.ucbemergency.org/map/maps/large_map.html&h=1039&w=1200&sz=171&tbnid=yO8opGtHh_0P8M:&tbnh=130&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dberkeley%2Bcampus%2Bmap%26um%3D1&start=1&sa=X&oi=images&ct=image&cd=1

Davis Hall located within Grid B5 on north east side of Campus. Public transportation strongly recommended.

Thank you.
Abolhassan Astaneh-Asl, Ph.D., P.E., Professor (www.ce.berkeley.edu/~astaneh) Center for Catastrophic Risk Management (CCRM), (http://iber.berkeley.edu/ccrm/) and Center for Information Technology Research in the Interest of Society (CITRIS), (http://www.citris-uc.org/)

 xxxxx wrote:

Dr. Astaneh,

How do I register?

Thank You.