Re: Choice between intermittent and continuous fillet weld in Crane girder ( I beam with channel top)

Sanjay,

Most of our structures are for exposed heavy industrial applications and therefore most of our crane girder/channel welds are continuous for corrosion concerns.  It should not be that big of a problem.  Since your crane girder may be involve fatigue considerations the continuous weld may be a better option anyway.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

"Sanjay Verma" <sverma(--nospam--at)p-and-i.com>
10/08/2007 09:58 AM
Please respond to seaint
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Choice between intermittent and continuous fillet weld  in Crane girder ( I beam with channel top)

Fabricator is insisting in providing intermittent fillet weld in Crane girder (I-beam with channel top).

I have seen continuous weld not a problem contrary to fabricator who is  advocating that continuous weld will leave warped channel surface.

Please advice / share your experience.

Channel web thickness is  .4 inch and recommended continuous weld is ¼.

Best Regards,

Sanjay Kumar Verma,  P.E.

818-7203140