RE: Choice between intermittent and continuous fillet weld in Crane girder ( I beam with channel top)

Intermittent welds have a higher stress category if fatigue is an issue.

Bob Garner, S.E.

From: Sanjay Verma [mailto:sverma(--nospam--at)p-and-i.com]
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2007 9:58 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Choice between intermittent and continuous fillet weld in Crane girder ( I beam with channel top)

Fabricator is insisting in providing intermittent fillet weld in Crane girder (I-beam with channel top).

I have seen continuous weld not a problem contrary to fabricator who is  advocating that continuous weld will leave warped channel surface.

Please advice / share your experience.

Channel web thickness is  .4 inch and recommended continuous weld is ¼.

Best Regards,

Sanjay Kumar Verma,  P.E.

818-7203140