From: refugio rochin [mailto:fugeeo(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 9:54 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: concrete drop panels

Thanks bye the way for all of the 8" columns input.  Not sure if I learned
anything, but interesting to see people's different input... I am usually
concerned with that issue on residential buildings.  lots of architects like
skinny columns !  concrete is much cheaper than steel tubes...  I think I
might look at the column with a P-Delta load plus the P, and see if it can
take it.  Also to look at buckling...

Concrete Drop Panels

ACI has a drop panel requirement:

Section 13.3.7.2 - Projection of drop panel below the slab shall be at least
one-quarter the slab thickness beyond the drop. ??? This wording has
confused me.  I think however, that it means the drop panel, to be
considered a drop panel, shall be at least a 1/4 of the slab thickness, so
if I have an 8" slab, then the drop panel shall be at least 2", giving an
overall depth to the panel of 10" which includes the slab...  no???