From: Jordan Truesdell, PE [mailto:seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 9:10 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: MFR home foundations

We are considering adding this to our services. I have a young guy to crawl around in the back woods for me now, and he's got some extra time so...   Anyway, we've done fdns from scratch in flood zones, and the requirements are pretty straightforward once you parse the 450pg manual. If the work is like most, this "certification" is for financing, and is simply a review to determine if the foundation was installed iaw the book.  Gary Loomis has posted on this subject here, and has mentioned that while HUD will accept surface bonding cement in lieu of mortared piers, they have rejected foundations which were acceptable by calculations but not by-the-letter.

You can skip the analysis software. Besides being for windows 3.1 (I think), it really is only meant for new construction. We've started an excel spreadsheet to try and keep track of everything, but are still waiting on a trial case.

Oh, and make sure you get a check in hand _before_ you crawl under a mobile home. Don't bill later, and never _ever_ accept payment at settlement. Cash or nothing. Remember - if you have to fail the foundation, there will be no financing and no settlement...and no way for you to get paid. $300-$400 isn't enough to take to court (unless you like losing more than just your time and a dirty pair of coveralls).
Jordan

Andrew Kester, P.E. wrote:
Does anyone know what it takes to "certify" mfr home foundations and their anchorages to the foundations? Basically a short and sweet, I have no snow or seismic loads, just lots of wind obviously.

I have downloaded and am reviewing HUD's manual and it seems quite involved, as I sort of figured it may. I am not sure I want the hassle or liability and I imagine they will not like my hourly rate. However, I repeatedly am being asked if I provide this service and have up until now just said no without considering it. Maybe it is not as involved or a big of a pain as I am thinking...

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

Andrew Kester, PE
Principal/Project Manager