Re: Live Load for residential home gym

Hey Dave,

I think that is fine for joist design with maybe a 500lb point load allowance anywhere along the span for the free weights. More than likely, the free weight stand will be against a mirrored wall so they can watch themselves flex and pose in the wee hours of the night, making it a shear issue more than anything....but in case it's out in the middle of the room, I would do the point load allowance. I guess it depends on how much room flexibility they'd need and how many people can fit in the room. If it's just 1 or two people using the room at a time, I doubt there is a need for more than (4) 100lb dumbells on a rack.

Now, if it's the Margera Family weight room, then maybe 125 psf live load is a reasonable assumption. :-)

hth,
-g