RE: Live Load for residential home gym

I don’t have the code in front of me but I believe the IBC requires live loads over 50psf to be posted, perhaps not for residential, though you as the engineer can require it on the construction documents. Also, the plans will state the maximum distributed and point live loads that your design considers.

In the past I have required that the location of heavy equipment be specified, marked, and labeled or that the equipment be permanently fastened in order to reduce the cost of the design on construction.

This is another good reason to have a contract signed by the owner specifying any unusual design criteria and performance parameters. My grandfather, God rest his grouchy soul, always said that you can’t make something idiot proof. If the floor fails for any reason you will be sued and brought before the state board. A contract and your construction documents can be a get-out-of-jail-free card and will put a sudden, instant, and even immediate stop to many board investigations. Ok maybe I’m exaggerating a little there at the end ;)

Christopher Banbury, PE

President

Ark Engineering, Inc.

PO Box 10129, Brooksville, FL 34603

22 North Broad ST, Brooksville, FL 34601

Phone: (352) 754-2424

Fax: (352) 754-2412

www.arkengineering.net