Re: Foundations for a 3-pinned arch stadium

Well, it's still enormous, even at 7" dia.
I see what you mean - it's really the formation of a plastic hinge that leads to the instability long before the top pin reaches the level of the foundations.
I don't think the glu-lam beams will show that much plasticity before the roof caves in.

Thanks for the explanation, Paul.

Today, I believe that I established that the foundations need to be anchored in rock, with a key to resist lateral thrust.  The client and the rest of the design team have come on board.  So thanks everyone for your encouragement.