Re: Light Framing Wood - Room Addition Lateral question

In a message dated 10/11/2007 9:29:48 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net writes:

My gut tells me that if I design the addition as independent but make a positive connection, it will have a stiffness greater than the original residence shear walls by nature of the Proprietary panels I would need to use.

You could distribute the shear according to relative rigidities of the shear resisting elements.

Current code is still the 97 UBC here in Southern California.

Thanks

Dennis

Not for much longer! Don't forget to reduce the DSC allowable load by 1.33 for re-entrant corner conditions.

Stephen Macie, P.E.
SLO,CA