RE: IBC Conventional Light Framed Construction

You are confusing the bracing percentages required in the IRC with the prescriptive bracing methods of the IBC.  The only time more than “minimum” bracing is required in the IBC is in SDC D & E, where Table 2308.12.4 (2006 IBC) controls.

From: Andy Heigley [mailto:aheigley(--nospam--at)jgaeng.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 07:44
To: Seaint
Subject: IBC Conventional Light Framed Construction

Dear list:

If any of you are familiar with the Conventional Light Framed Construction section 2308 of the IBC 2006, I would like some help.

Braced wall lines are defined in section 2308.9.3 but there is no description, at least that I could find, of what total percentage of wall has to be braced.  It refers you to figure 2308.9.3 and I understand minimum spacing, end distances they restrict you too, but in their figure they have Braced wall line L1 as the sum of A+B+C, but doesn’t A+B+C have to be a certain percentage of the total length L1?

It says in Table 2308.9.3(1) that for SDC C that the total length shall not be less than 25% of the building length, but what about SDC A and B?

Just wondering if anybody else has found this and could direct me to the answer.

Thanks in advance,

Andy Heigley