RE: IBC Conventional Light Framed Construction

Andy,

If I am reading things right, for SDC A & B you’d simply be governed by the minimum spacing requirements of 25’-0” on center and offset not more than 12’-6” from each end. That works out to a theoretical minimum requirement for one diagonal brace or one 4’-0” wide panel placed at the midpoint of the wall. For a 25’-0” long wall, that provides a bracing percentage of 16% of the building length, which is what you would find in the IRC for SDC A & B.

Of course, thinking practically and from a *wind* standpoint, you actually want at least two braces or panels per line, one at each end of the wall or as close to the end as possible, unless you have a very tight spacing *between* your braced wall lines (say, 5 or 10 feet).

Regards,

Gary

Gary J. Ehrlich, PE

1201 15th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20005

ph: 202-266-8545  or 800-368-5242 x8545

fax: 202-266-8369

gehrlich(--nospam--at)nahb.com