re: steel flitch plate

Scott,
I completely agree with Bill on his business/legal reasons not to do it, as well as Jordan with his opinion that the steel plate will take a majority of the load. Even though your LVL is pretty stable from a shrinkage standpoint, under axial load it will creep some but your steel plate will not. I would think the steel plate would "see" a majority of the load due to its higher stiffness as others have indicated. Can you not sandwich a tube steel inside your SIP and even maybe thru bolt or TEK screw the LVL let-ins (splines) onto the sides of the tube?

Andrew

Andrew Kester, PE
Principal/Project Manager
ADK Structural Engineering, PLLC