Conventional Light Framed Construction Vs. Engineered Building

All,
I mistakenly posed these questions as a response to an earlier post rather than as it's own inquiry and it may have gotten lost in the shuffle.
I'd like to get some of your input on the following:
Do many of you use conventional light framed construction requirements as opposed to providing full engineering calculations for the structure?
What drives your decision for going the conventional construction route, cost to the owner?
Any thoughts on mixing conventional light framed construction braced wall lines with engineered shearwall lines in the same structure?  For example, any thoughts/concerns/warnings on having three distinct braced wall lines and two distinct engineered shearwall lines all in the north/south direction......or an entire second story of conventional light framed construction over an entirely engineered first story?
Thanks for any input shared.
Guadalupe