Re: ASCE 7-05

On Oct 20, 2007, at 8:21 AM, Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. wrote:

Actually makes sense, as engineers are not known for their communication ability
Gary
Not the good ones. Engineering is discipline of communications--we don't (routinely) make things; we tell people who do how to makes things properly. That's what drawings and reports are all about-- communicating instructions unambiguously to artisans (for lack of a better word) can give materials a specific usefulness. We don't do science or math; we use science and math to make sure the instructions we communicate are soundly based in physical principles.

My own experience is that academics who teach engineering tend to lose sight of the need for communications and organization--maybe out of desire for greater rigor in presentation or just a tendency to impress the onlooker with technicalities. I know that's happened with the Pressure Vessel Codes. With the ASME Codes, I think the problem is that industry isn't supporting Code writng efforts like they once did, and academia has necessarily moved in. I've always suspected (without an ounce of actual proof) that it's what happened when LRFD was introduced.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/