Re: ASCE 7-05

On Oct 22, 2007, at 6:58 AM, Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. wrote:

after reading the seismic requirements three times I was totally lost and thought the problem was me. So I called a friend at a large engineering company who was assistant head of the industrial department and he said the ASCE seismic parts seem to go in circles.
I bet if you'd look at the committee membership, you'd see a high percentage of academic input. I sound like some kind of populist loonie, but I'm anything but. The problem is that too many academics have gone straight from grad school to teaching which is like quenching without tempering.engineers need to learn to express findings and instructions simply, precisely and unambiguously just as much as they need scientific rigor.

We agreed to ignore it and use the UBC, I believe. I wrote a letter of complaint to ASCE and heard nothing back.
I bet you'd hear something back if you volunteered to serve on the committee.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/