From: smaxwell(--nospam--at)umich.edu [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)umich.edu]
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 2:35 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: ASCE 7-05

While I do believe that there are a lot of engineers out there who are overly
harsh on the various code/standard committees (it is rather easy to
"backseat" drive or complain about stuff when you are not familiar with the
process or the work that goes on and the difficulty in getting sometimes 50+
people to agree enough on something to produce a provision), I do believe
that ASCE 7 has gotten a little out of hand with the wind provisions.  Having
messed with the wind loads for signs recently, I can say that it is WAY to
involved a process to get wind loads for a freakin' sign (it took me multiple
hours to JUST get the wind pressure for the sign).

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI