RE: paid for release of CAD files to subs...

It's not uncommon or unreasonable to have the contractor pay for them.  at $50/ sheet, it costs them less than an hour's pay to a tech.  Have them sign a release of liability (even if you give them away) for errors/ omissions/ dimensions, etc, and go for it.  If you give them away, you're still picking up a small amount of liability, like it or not.  May as well get paid a little for it.  If they don't buy it, so what?

The client shouldn't have to pay for it.  shop drawings are built in to the construction costs, and by charging them you're saving the contr'r money.  If it doesn't save him, he won't pay it.
JDCoombs

>>> On 10/23/2007 at 6:32 AM, Adam Vakiener <avakiener(--nospam--at)southernae.com> wrote:

We are often asked to release our CAD floor plans to sub-contractors for
their shop drawing/layout use.

After giving these files away "gratis" for years, I fell that it is high
time we make these guys cough up
Some green as we are making their lives IMMENSELY easier.

Plus, they make a lot more on the project than we do.

Do you guys/gals charge for your files and if so, how much?

Thanks,

David L. Fisher SE PE

Senior Director

372 West Ontario Chicago 60610

319 A Street Boston 02210

David,

Our firm charges $50 per sheet for CAD files.  You would be surprised by
how many people decide against it when that price is mentioned.
However, I still usually end up doing it for the rebar and structural
steel detailer on most projects.

--

Adam Vakiener, P.E.
Structural Engineer