From: Jerry Coombs [mailto:JCoombs(--nospam--at)carollo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 6:58 AM
To:
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: paid for release of CAD files to subs...

It's not unheard of to define the format and size size of shop submittals, and have them re-submit if it isn't done.

Many contractors on large projects these days are requesting to submit electronically.  If you don't define paper, you may get electronic.  If you get electronic, you're picking up one heck of a printing cost.

>>> On 10/23/2007 at 8:48 AM, "Bill Allen" <t.w.allen(--nospam--at)cox.net> wrote:

Based on my most recent experience, I would tend to encourage the vendor to use my CAD files as backgrounds (to the angst of my E&O carrier). Instead, I got a framing plan that was 8-1/2”x11” and was very difficult to read. As it turns out, it was also difficult to build. Many field corrections. Yes, I got paid for the fixes, but I still would have preferred doing something else with my time. Yes, I would have them sign a hold harmless letter and I would ship w/o my title block.

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

V (949) 248-8588 F(949) 209-2509