From: Charles R. Ashley Jr. [mailto:charles(--nospam--at)advanceeng.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 10:15 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: ASCE 7-05

As engineers we tend to learn by failures.  After all, it was the 1994
Northridge EQ that spurred major revisions to the seismic provisions in the
1997.

So I have to ask....when is the last time a Type V building failed due to
wind in California?  Anyone wake up in the morning and find a roof that
doesn't below to you sitting in your front yard?

I am trying to figure out what tragic wind event triggered these ridiculous
revisions!  I am sure there must have been a bus load of innocent children
involved, I just can't seem to find it.