From: Brian K. Smith [mailto:smithegr(--nospam--at)bellsouth.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 12:17 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: TEDDS Software

I haven't used Mathcad since college, but after having used TEDDS I
wouldn't
go back.  Once you know how it works, writing your own routines is a
breeze
and then you save it to a library and you can use it forever.

For example:  I routinely design single story retail buildings with
metal
deck, steel bar joist, joist girders or beams, tube columns, and light
gage,
cmu, or tilt wall exterior walls.  I define my loads, run my ASCE 7-05
wind
calculations, my ASCE 7-05 seismic calcs if necessary, figure roof
uplifts,
wall wind loads etc.  I have a library for joist design.  I insert it in
Calc Definition called BAR JOIST 1, run the routine, it asks for joist
span
and joist spacing.  I have a routine inside that determines live load
reduction and converts all loads to LRFD, then gives me total load to
look
up the in the joist span tables.  If I have more joist, I just insert
the
routine as many times as I need, BAR JOIST 2, BAR JOIST ETC.  I then do
the
same for my steel beams, using the routine I developed to design steel
beams
the same way I would using a pencil and pad.  I use the prepackaged
TEDDS
routine to design my steel columns.  I then use MY routines to design
the
exterior walls be they CMU or metal studs with a parapet.  I use MY
routines
to design the steel deck (i.e. input wind load at the deck, span, depth,
K1
& K2 values and then it calcs the G' and deflection values).  I have
also
developed routines for pier supported grade beams.  All in all I can
have
PRESENTATION QUALITY calculations for a 10,000 - 30,000sf retail
building in
about 4 hours or less.

We also design a lot of 3 story stick framed residential structures.  I
have
developed routines for calculating the truss loads, shear walls, roof
diaphragms, glulams, LVLs, porch beams with wind uplift, wind transfer

I honestly use the program 3 times or more a week.  Granted, if I need
design something once and just need some quick math done, I will use a
spreadsheet.  But something I do day in and day out, you can't beat it.

Brian K. Smith, PE