Steel Plate Shear Walls

Could someone enlighten me about the AISC design guide 20, "Steel Plate Shear Walls"?

The article in "Structural Engineering" October 2007, p32 has an example steel plate shear wall design.

I did not see any mention additional welding near the steel plate corner zones. I expected more welding for the increase stress when the plate yields by buckling. I did not see any mention that the plate is designed to not yield. There was no mentioning that the corner zone additional welding was used for the full length of the plate to increase but simplify the welder's task.

As I recall (Design of Welded Structures, Omer W. Blodgett) for plate ratios of less than 2:1, an equivalent tension strip is created as the steel plate wrinkles. Similar to the wrinkles when pulling on opposite corners of a bed sheet. This tension strip concentrates the plate shear to the corners and increases the shear per length. For a near square plate that increase is about 3 times the stress (shear/length) of a similar but thicker and not buckling plate.

This tension strip is small and more like diagonal tension straps, usually leading to the conclusion that the system must assume a non-ductile shear wall with increased base shears or that diagonal braces are more effective.

Could someone enlighten me about the AISC design guide 20, "Steel Plate Shear Walls"?

Long time ago, in a nuclear power generator building, there were steel plate floor diaphragms, with evenly spaced lengths of edge welding. It was concluded that the existing plates needed full penetration welds at the plate corner zones. Shit hit the fan, but then the work was done.

David Merrick